Sunday, July 24, 2016

Love Was in the Air




My husband, Hank, and I are still doing SoulCycle together on the weekends. We’ve hung in there with our “together” hobby. I tease him, though, that I’ve created a monster. He likes to leave early to get there, and makes sure we get signed up for class for the coming week.

Hank’s more social than I.  He’s a joiner. Loves to work the room. Loves group anything. Knows the names of most the staff and instructors where we ride. He’s all set up and ready to ride when I’m the last to hop on the bike.

Last Friday, Hank had signed us up for a 5 o’clock afternoon ride. It was hotter than the hubs of hell outside.  I’d just read about the latest senseless shooting, in a Munich Mall, and a fire had broken out in Santa Clarita sending up plumes of smoke and painting the sky with an eerie look of doomsday.

We’d just returned hours before from Ojai and the last thing I wanted to do was a 90-minute spin ride with a DJ.

The only thing compelling me was what Hank, in the know around there, advised me of what was to happen after the class.  “Ok, this is pretty special.” I agreed to go.

The class was packed. The energy was on high and the DJ was in full throttle. We all knew what was up. All, except one of the two instructors on the podium.

I kept my eye on the door as the class neared the end. I’m sure everyone was, in anticipation. The door burst open with a throng of well-wishing regular attendees crowding into the room with cell phones, raised above, to capture the moment.

The male instructor on the podium, his legs slowing for the cool down, looked around quizzically. “What’s going on!!?”

The crowd parted and in came his partner.  The instructor’s smile grew wider. “Why are you here!!?”

His partner went to the podium. The room fell silent. “A year ago, I felt as if the world had fallen out from under me. And, then,” he looked at his partner, “I met this man and fell in love.”

From there, he spoke eloquently for a few minutes of their relationship. He looked at his love. “I want to spend the rest of my life with you,” he said. Then, he proposed marriage.

Whoops of cheer rose from the crowded room as he presented him with a ring.  There were true tears of joy for the couple. Such emotion. Such devotion. Such love. They clearly had found each other.

Chris was overwhelmed, excited, and so, so happy. “Yes! Yes!”

The other instructor had Chris’ mother on the i-phone to witness the proposal and handed Chris the phone.  “Mom! Mom! Look,” he said, pointing to his partner. “Meet your new son!”

The only other engagement I’d experienced was my own. To see a couple so in love, so ready for commitment…A commitment that is their right as loving adult human beings.

I forgot about being tired. The heat. The fire. Munich. Because for that moment, it reminded me, as do so many things, that love is still alive and well.

And, love is moving forward.




No comments:

Post a Comment