Saturday, February 13, 2016

Room to Spare



I held the note in my hand and looked hard at the message.  





It wasn't the misspelling of my daughter's name, it was the addition of my son-in-law, Doug.

For the last two years there's been an extra name in the family e-mail line-up. An extra set of initials next to Allan, Hilary and Joseph’s on my dented gold bangle, a new stocking on the mantle (now on their mantle) at Christmastime. 

I relish in the accomplishments and understand the challenges my son-in-law experiences as I do with my own children's accomplishments and challenges.

Once Doug came into the fold, he’s family. Period.

And I hear it only gets better. My friends who have grandchildren are delighting in the newfound happiness of having these little ones around. “Just you wait,” says my friend, Kim.

When my friend, Wendy, holds her baby granddaughters, I see pure joy in her expression. 
                                           _______________
    
It’s not all perfect, our growing families. Nothing ever is.  

But, as the lines in our faces deepen, our skin begins to sag, and the eyesight starts to go, we are rewarded with an expanding heart.

It opens up, and you are amazed that your heart has capacity for someone new. 

But, it does…with room to spare for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment